Las Vegas which is also known as Sin City is the premier destination for many people to visit.
Many people want to go to Vegas at least once in their lifetime as there is simply so many things for you to see and do.
The attractions here are always fun and entertaining, food is always tasty and delicious, casinos always built to amaze you, and also a whole array of nightlife entertainment that will keep you up all night long.
However, despite Las Vegas being one of the best most popular places in America, there are certain things you shouldn’t do when you visit this city.
Mainly because it can either waste your time, cost you money, or simply make your trip feel a lot less enjoyable.
So in this guide, we are going to tell you everything you shouldn’t do when you visit Last Vegaas.
Lets get started!
- Things To Not Do When You’re In Las Vegas
- The Distance Is Not As It Seems
- Book Your Stay Off The Strip
- Paying Full Price For Show Tickets
- Showing Your A New Person
- Not Using Mobile Check In
- Thinking Everything Is Expensive
- Don’t Spend All Your Time On The Strip
- Not Renting A Car
- Seeing A Canyon In One Day
- Not Signing Up For A Players Card
- Not Eating At The Buffets
- Avoid Scams
- Never Use Casino ATM’s
Things To Not Do When You’re In Las Vegas
Down below you will find a list of all the things you should not do in Vegas. This will save you time, money as well as having a much more enjoyable trip.
The Distance Is Not As It Seems
Here is a map of the Vegas Strip
Things look all really close right?
If it is your first time coming to Vegas, you might think that all the casinos are close together. However once you get there, you will immediately notice that things aren’t as they seem.
You will actually be walking for quite some while just to reach the destination that you want.
For instance, from Excalibur which is all the way at the end of the strip to New York New York which is right next to Excalibur, takes about 10 to 15 minutes just to walk over.
And if you’re wondering how long it takes to get from one end of the strip to the other, your talking about 45 minutes at the minimum.
That is a long time!
So don’t expect to go anywhere fast in Vegas unless you are taking a taxi or uber or anything similar.
Here are some tips however to make your traveling a lot easier:
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- Plan your trip
- Walk through hotels instead of the outside to avoid the burning hot sun or other weather conditions
- Ride the monorail for faster transportation
- Ride an Uber/Lyft/Taxi for faster transportation
Book Your Stay Off The Strip
I know it can be tempting to stay off the strip to save some money, however that will only make things more inconvenient for you.
Mainly because, there are already so many cheap and affordable hotels on the strip that you don’t have to stay someplace far away.
And best of all, if you stay on the strip, you don’t have to worry about calling a taxi or uber to drive you back anywhere. You have full control of everything you do.
And your options are plentiful.
There are so many hotels for you to stay in on the strip. With the cheaper ones being more towards the ends of the strip and the more expensive ones being in the middle.
But before you pick just any cheap hotel, you should definitely check out a map and see where the hotel is located at. For instance, Circus Circus is probably one of the cheapest hotels on the strip, but it is so far at the end of the strip that it might take you 40 minutes or more just to walk back.
Now if you are staying around the middle of the strip, the prices tend to be higher but they also offer you the convenience of being close to everything. You won’t have to worry about walking far as you are literally surrounded by so many great things.
So do keep that in mind when you are trying to book a place to stay.
Here is a list of some of the cheaper hotels for you to know about:
- New York, New York
- The Stratosphere
- Circus Circus
Paying Full Price For Show Tickets
You should know that if you ever want to see a show in Vegas, you should never pay face value for them.
This is because you are always able to get them on a discount.
Now to get the best deals, I would suggest going online to some ticket sites. Vegas.com is a perfect example of a site where you can get cheaper discounts.
They offer many discounts for almost all of the popular Vegas shows which includes Cirque du Soleil shows.
You can also go to one of the nearby Tix4Tonight store on the strip to get some discounted tickets as well.
Top Shows In Vegas
Now as you know there are many different shows for you to watch here in Vegas. Which can definitely be a bit overwhelming especially for first timers.
So here I have made a list of some recommendations I think you should check out.
- Cirque du Soleil – Basically all the Cirque shows are top notch. However my personal favorites are O by Cirque du Soleil, Mystere, KÀ, and Michael Jackson ONE.
- Magic shows – David Copperfield, Magic Reinvented Nightly, Penn and Teller, Shin Lim.
- Popular Vegas shows – Blue Man Group, V – The Ultimate Variety Show.
- Adult shows – Thunder by Down Under, Fantasy, Zumanity, Zombie Burlesque.
- Kid-friendly shows – Jabbawockeez, Tournament of Kings
Showing Your A New Person
One thing you should avoid doing is to show people you are new to the whole Vegas experience.
This is because often times, people will take advantage of you and that will just ruin your day.
If somebody ever asks if you ever been to Vegas before, you should always say “YES”!
For instance, this is especially true with Taxi drivers where they would purposely take you through the long route which can boost their fares. However if you tell them that you are from Vegas or been here before, you are less likely to encounter this problem.
Not Using Mobile Check In
Before you book any hotel especially during Holidays, you should check if they offer any type of mobile check-in.
When I went to Vegas, the regular line at the Mirage was about an hour wait. However with mobile check-in, we were able to check in within 10 minutes and not have to wait in line.
Thinking Everything Is Expensive
Often times when people go too Vegas, they think that it is the most expensive place on Earth. And while it is true that there are many really expensive things here, there are also many things which are really cheap.
For instance, there are some cheap buffets which can last you the entire day if you only eat one meal. Or you can also just get your food at the local Walgreens or CVS.
Plus, you can get drinks for free if you gamble.
There are also many more things you can do to save some money.
I actually have a guide exactly for this topic on how to budget yourself in Vegas. You can check out that guide right here.
Don’t Spend All Your Time On The Strip
While the Vegas Strip definitely has a lot of things for you to see and do, it is a shame to spend the entire trip only on the strip. There are so many more things in Vegas that you could be doing.
For instance, you can take a day trip to one of the canyons nearby which can give you amazing views and let you see nature at its finest. Or you can visit the famous Fremont Street and see how Vegas originally started.
There are also many tours all around which can take you to different places to see all kinds of amazing things.
For instance, there are tours to the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Death Valley and more that will keep you entertained for hours on end.
Which is why you should never just stay on the strip the entire time. Instead, go out and explore what the city has to offer.
Not Renting A Car
One of the biggest mistakes you can make is by not renting a car.
There are so many things for you to see and do here in Vegas, which makes renting a car a perfect option.
You can save both time and money by driving yourself to the National Parks or to the off strip attractions yourself. Also you can plan everything yourself so it makes your overall trip a whole lot more enjoyable.
Seeing A Canyon In One Day
One mistake you can make is trying to see a Canyon in under 1 day.
After all canyons are so big and vast, that it can take you multiple days to fully enjoy the experience.
If you only go for one day, you are basically going to spend half your day driving to and back from the canyon while only really spending about 3 to 4 hours actually being at the canyon.
I would suggest putting down 2 to 3 days for you to actually enjoy everything the canyon has to offer.
Not Signing Up For A Players Card
Signing up for a players card is a great benefit to your Vegas experience. Even if you don’t plan on gambling a lot, just signing up for the card will grant you many features.
Plus it is free to sign up so why not do it? Some casinos will give you discounts for having their card and some might even give you free money to gamble away.
Definitely a great thing to get.
Not Eating At The Buffets
Buffets in Vegas aren’t like your normal average joe buffets you might find back at home.
The buffets here in Vegas are on an entirely different level. They offer such a great selection at affordable prices which makes things so much better.
My personal favorite is the Bacchanal at Caesars Palace which is just simply divine.
Just like many other popular places, scams are a common thing that can occur here in Vegas.
Some scams you should look out for are:
- Free Stuff – If somebody is offering you something for free like music cd’s or photos, it is best to just ignore them and keep walking. Most likely thing that will happen is that once you take the free item, you will be asked to give them some money in return for that item.
- Never Buy Stuff On The Street – One common thing that is happening in Vegas is that there are street sellers who are selling things which are simply re-used. For instance, the water bottle you are buying might just be refilled tap water in a bottle they found. Instead, I would suggest to just do your shopping at the local Walgreens or CVS that is in the middle of the strip.
- Avoid Promoters – One thing you will see a lot are “promoters” on the street trying to offer you the Vegas experience or upgrades to certain attractions. But if you take their deal, you will most often be asked to give them a tip for the help that they have given you. And most of the time the help that they given you is worth nothing at all. So simply ignore them.
- Avoid Card Slappers – Card slappers are commonly found throughout the strip as they are on the streets slapping cards trying to get people to take them. They are basically offering an escort service which is illegal in Vegas. Worst is that when the escort does come, she’ll likely steal your things when you are asked to freshen up or something.
Never Use Casino ATM’s
As you know, Vegas is the place where you spend money.
So you can be sure to know that there are ATM’s located all over the place. However you should avoid these machines at all costs because they are costly. They will charge a fee on top of fees that your bank usually charges and you’ll find yourself spending a lot more than you wanted to.
Instead you want to look elsewhere for some extra cash.
As you can see, there are quite a few things you should know about before you come to Vegas.
By avoiding many of these things, it can save you both time and money. And best of all, it can make your whole experience a lot more enjoyable.
So hopefully this list was able to help you out in learning Vegas a little bit better.
Also if you are going to be visiting Las Vegas anytime soon, you might be interested in some of my other Las Vegas Posts.
- 12 best buffets in Las Vegas
- 18 awesome things to do in downtown Las Vegas
- 15 amazing day trips from Las Vegas
Or you can check out all my blog posts by click this link.
Let me know how your trip goes down in the comments below~